Author Topic: The #1 thing I'd like to see before Audiosurf is released  (Read 79973 times)

lonewolf

• View Profile
Re: The #1 thing I'd like to see before Audiosurf is released
« Reply #150 on: January 25, 2008, 01:58:43 pm »
Hi all,

Here are the things I felt missing from the game last weekend:
  • it would be nice if the user could add songs to favorites and could find them in a favorite songs' view. this would spare some time. Plus that would be also nice if we could somehow set music container directories for smoother navigation
  • unicode support for file and directory names and keyboards
  • some kind of recording + playback option, export to avi or something like that (if I tried using some external avi recorded program the game was too slow so i couldn't play)
  • When the music begins and we're zooming at the start position i feel some kind of emptyness on the screen plus the track doesn't look nice from a distant I think. Try to fill the empty space with something spectacular for at least that 5 seconds we're zooming in
  • configurable keyboard settings
  • i think the game should start in full screen mode. plus please lose those windows-like minimize/restore/fullscreen buttons because they don't fit in the style of the game plus these buttons are uncommon in games. Good feature though, maybe you could insert them in game options somewhere
  • game options - too few things can be set
  • options: it would be grate if music volume and game effect volume could be set separately (i'm not sure of the opposite though), plus maybe the effects' sound set could be the last option by default - and it should be able to be set disabled as well cause I don't every time like those effects ruining my favorite soundtrack
  • I don't know about you, but my favorite player is ninja mono 'cause it's simple to play and fast and really enjoyable. the other classes use all those colors and stuff i get confused all the time, i can't keep up with the speed of the game. The point is i thing a class somewhere between the complexity of the two could fit in the game well
  • please try to avoid hairpins in the track - i mean sometimes a left or right turn can be so sudden that even the player's car gets out of the view and can't see what's coming next
  • corkscrews could be more smooth. you could add more features like this, like loops
  • i think compared to the size of the game or the graphic level of the game it's too slow on my machine (Amd XP 3000+, 1Gram, Radeon 9800Pro 128) - i can only play safely on lowest detail and sometimes it still gets slow for a second breaking the rythm of the gameplay

cheers
lw
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 02:04:43 pm by lonewolf »

Shuri

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 25, 2008, 03:06:37 pm »
Oh and I'd like to see a "light" toggle, like how Ninja mono (etc) has a black background with lots of flashy stuff while Pointman (and such) is white and un-exciting.
So that we can choose if we want the flashy nice stuff on pointman or if we want dull white on Ninja mono (and so on) xD

lebeth

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 26, 2008, 08:58:59 am »

• options: it would be grate if music volume and game effect volume could be set separately (i'm not sure of the opposite though), plus maybe the effects' sound set could be the last option by default - and it should be able to be set disabled as well cause I don't every time like those effects ruining my favorite soundtrack

Yo--just wanted to let you know you can set the sound effects volumes or turn em completely off by pressing escape while you're playing.

lebeth

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 26, 2008, 09:08:11 am »
A rework of the leaderboards.

- Ditch the difficulty-specific boards in favor of character-specific leaderboards. This would work best if you also rebalanced things and reworked the way you're thinking of characters and difficulty. Maybe the character select screen just has the basic character types on it, like Mono, Double Vision, and so on. After selecting one of those, you get to pick your difficulty, and that's where Mono Pro and Ninja Mono show up, and so on.

Have all difficulties for each character roll-up into one leaderboard per type. So you have a Mono leaderboard, a Vegas leaderboard, a Double Vision leaderboard, etc. Then you can balance characters and scoring that way, rather than trying to fit together several entirely different play styles onto one "Pro" board or one "Casual" board.

Rock Band and Guitar Hero work roughly this way, and it works fine--the higher difficulties are capable of much higher scores, but that requires skill to accomplish, so an experienced player using Mono could still best a new player jumping right into Ninja Mono.

- Include e-mail options inside the game, add an option to get e-mail when someone on your friends list beats one of your scores, not just when you're dethroned from a top spot. Friend-based leaderboards are way more powerful than the worldwide boards.

- I'd love to see some sort of guarantee that you'll work on things behind the scenes to prevent people from renaming longer, more score-friendly songs to cheat their way to the top of a shorter song and generally make sure that the leaderboards maintain some level of integrity. (Maybe some kind of musicbrainz integration would help with this?)

Thanks for all these comments! We are pondering how to do all these things.  I wanted to let you know one thing, which is that you had mentioned friend-based dethroning emails--it actually does this. Whenever a friend beats you ya get an email.

sny

• Will surf for food
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 26, 2008, 04:23:37 pm »
For me it's definitely a single-machine split-screen mode. Being able to challenge your friends while listening to songs you both love would give this game a whole new level of awesomeness.  ::)

P.S.: I originally wanted to list moving the super-annoying tutorials when you pick up a new powerup on later stages (that cause the game/song to pause) to appear with the rest of the tutorial messages during the first song, but I'm even willing to endure that if there'll be a split-screen mode...  ;)

PJiF

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 26, 2008, 09:32:32 pm »
Unicode support.
Online co-op, if not at launch, in the future.
Mods, courses, etc.
Playlist support.
And save/play replay.

Cleaner graphics, a definite must!
When viewing the scoreboard, the bonuses people earn overflow outside of the box.

Maybe throw in a slider to adjust how flashy/trippy you want everything to be. (500% gogogo!)

The game is still pure win right now though. :D

ictusletalis

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 26, 2008, 10:23:13 pm »
what i would like to see is favorites songs, like to check your favorites songs and have it in another tab when you select the music. that would be great ;), because you play a song that you liked so much but later you don't remember which song was!  ???

btw i would like to see the game in xbox live arcade or something that would be great too, choosing the songs via streaming from your computer or the hard drive in the xbox

Ltar

• MSN Messenger - cqueeno@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Photography on Deviantart
    • Email
Game Pads
« Reply #157 on: January 27, 2008, 03:04:42 pm »
Gampads
Mouse control is fine, keyboard control is klunky, but I haven't used either since I discovered my xbox 360 controller works with the game.

Improved support for control pads would be wonderful. My friend's dual shock isn't recognized at all, and I can't jump with ninja mono on my game pad. As it is, left and right triggers are assigned to left and right click, space bar isn't mapped.

The game pad seems to override keyboard controls, I haven't tried two game pads, yet.

The current support of analog sticks works great, at least on the xbox360 controller with XP.

Song Verification
Just checking the length of the song against a known copy would eliminate 90% of cheaters.

In-Game id3 Tag Editing
also, some indication of whether the song is recognized before loading. Perhaps a two-pane navigation panel, songs on the left, and a simplified high scores list on the right.

Mono Free
Grab everything you can, penalty for missed blocks. Make it feel like i'm really playing the song, rather than playing in it.

Losing
Implement a lives system, an energy bar, or some way of actually losing a song. The game seems pointless without some incentive to complete a song. There's no sense of victory when you "beat" a song because it's impossible to not finish. In the strictest sense, audiosurf really doesn't even qualify as a 'game' at this point. It's more like a highly interactive music visualization.

Overflow Warning
The exclamation marks are great, but I'd like to see something more visceral. A rumble, an ongoing siren, a more catching flashing, something so I know when I'm screwing up.

Fill The Void
Give me something to look at before I start playing. The current intro is cool for really twisty tracks, but most aren't. boring.

Individual Scores for Dual Vision
I play dual vision exclusively as cooperative multi-player, it'd be cool to see each side's score at the end,  even if only the combined score is submitted to the server.

Competitive Multi-Player
...with separate parallel tracks for each player, web or single-computer. Powerups to mess with the other player (shuffle their stacks, or score siphons). No need for internet score charts for this mode.

More Elite Modes
Dual Vision Elite and Eraser Elite would work great, Vegas Elite might be a bit loaded unless shuffling was assigned to a click, rather than a shoulder wait. Make the shuffling instantaneous in elite mode, rather than trickling down and I think it would work.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 09:26:43 pm by Ltar »

noahidea

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 27, 2008, 04:00:15 pm »
If it's been said before I apologize, but I think a search tool inside the browser would be awesome.

Kaseki

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 27, 2008, 06:27:58 pm »
What I'd like to see is:
"Courses" -- A collection of songs which get played straight through, blended together into one long track, for playing a whole album at once for example. Scores would be given only for the entire course, not for individual tracks.

And to reiterate a few other very important things:
A scored gameplay mode where you collect all the traffic (like mono, but no gray blocks).
Unicode filename/tag support.

Phetal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #160 on: January 27, 2008, 11:05:28 pm »
Competitive multiplayer would be quite good.
I have an idea...
Collecting a square normally collects it... normally.
But clicking instead sends the block to the opponent. That way, you could block their potential matches, give them grey/white blocks... or...
something else....
but yeah!

Psy-T

• Music Addict
    • View Profile
    • www.psy-t.com
« Reply #161 on: January 28, 2008, 08:59:47 pm »
The #1 thing I'd like to see before Audio Surf is released... is unlimited track length.
I read some earlier posts in the forum and noticed Dylan replied to one of the requests saying that the problem with that is something to do with a z-buffer (or something like that), in case that problem is unsurmountable,Ii'd like to suggest the following: place pit stops in the track at musically appropriate moments predetermined by the analyzer; when you get to a pit stop, visually have the character just spin around in it or something, but behind the scenes, you analyze the next chunk of audio data. when it's ready, wait for a musically fitting point to leave the pit stop and continue the track.
hope that helped.

the second most important thing i'd like to see in audiosurf before release is: internal volume control, to be used during the race if necessary (via the scrollwheel).

the third would be support for m3u playlists and the like.

i can't wait to be able to do a 200+ minute long endurance race (i've got more than a couple of those ready and waiting).

Ltar

• MSN Messenger - cqueeno@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Photography on Deviantart
    • Email
« Reply #162 on: January 28, 2008, 10:49:10 pm »
In the lowest difficulty levels, there's a really cool pressure bar on either side of the screen that pulses with the music at all the relevant frequencies. occasionally on higher difficulties, the game would glitch white and i would be able to see it on medium and pro. I'd like to see it on those difficulties normally, I think it adds to the graphics of the game. Beginner difficulty seems to have the most interesting graphics, because cool effects like that seem to be simply left out of higher difficulties.

Phetal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #163 on: January 29, 2008, 01:07:50 am »
In the lowest difficulty levels, there's a really cool pressure bar on either side of the screen that pulses with the music at all the relevant frequencies. occasionally on higher difficulties, the game would glitch white and i would be able to see it on medium and pro. I'd like to see it on those difficulties normally, I think it adds to the graphics of the game. Beginner difficulty seems to have the most interesting graphics, because cool effects like that seem to be simply left out of higher difficulties.
I agree with this. I was disappointed that the little volume thingy didn't show up in the harder settings.
Also...
Can you turn the volume of the splash screen down? It's really, really really loud.

Olafski

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 29, 2008, 01:23:04 pm »
Just a small note on dethronement.. don't know if it's already in as I haven't played any of the betas and such...

I think these two would be useful options:
1) allow people to check a box whether they want to receive the Dethroned! emails
2) only use this feature for songs that have been played
  a) 10+ times for friends' dethrones
  b) 1000+ times for global dethrones (are these even in? I'd say the king of the world needs to be prodded if he is kicked from the throne ;))

Thanks again for making such a good game ;)