Author Topic: How do people get high scores with casual mono?  (Read 1148 times)

bakemycake

• View Profile
How do people get high scores with casual mono?
« on: July 31, 2016, 01:18:39 pm »
How do people get high scores with casual mono?

I get 80k points while the top scoreboard dudes are at 120k. They mostly finish with clean run, stealth, and match 11, so it isn't about hitting grey blocks or doing big matches. I've always assumed that they cheat somehow to get such drastically high scores, but lately I've been curious if there is just something to it that I don't know. I've experimented with not collecting some blocks to set up for a larger cluster ahead, and not collecting blocks to avoid overfilling a full stack, but in my experiments it always ends up either worse or only ~100 points more then the 100% run. Are there any special techniques that I just don't account for?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think mono doesn't get any benefits for the colour of the blocks. Any casual high score mono players here?

Progfox

• View Profile
Re: How do people get high scores with casual mono?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 12:44:28 am »
I don't play Mono much but I think that the main difference is unfortunately the way the program generates the level. You can do things like extend matches with grey blocks and miss colors to make bigger clusters, but if your opponent's track just has more colored blocks than yours, there isn't much you can do  :'( Maybe they have a noisier, lower-quality version of the song, maybe they're inadvertently cheating with an alternate recording, or maybe they just got lucky.

The only technique I know of that you didn't mention is sideswiping, which is hitting a block from the side so you collect the block later, so that the match timer ends a bit later, which can sometimes get you extra blocks. But that's not going to make up a 50% difference.

Best of luck on the leaderboards!

Jimmy

• View Profile
Re: How do people get high scores with casual mono?
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 01:27:34 am »
The only technique I know of that you didn't mention is sideswiping, which is hitting a block from the side so you collect the block later, so that the match timer ends a bit later, which can sometimes get you extra blocks. But that's not going to make up a 50% difference.

That's a good tip, thanks for sharing! It's better and healthier to play for fun rather than be all focused on scoring high. It'll never be high enough!