Author Topic: Why we need Elite-modes back  (Read 3719 times)

Cadiuro

• Surfing either Audio or Wind
    • View Profile
Why we need Elite-modes back
« on: November 02, 2015, 04:08:49 pm »
I've asked for it before in other topics, and I will keep asking whenever I get the chance. But this time, I also want to bring some arguments.

Let me start by stating that I did grow to like the game. It's still got a lot of flaws and is far from perfect, but I'm definitely enjoying it. I usually play Pointman, sometimes Pusher. I even regularly play Mono, something I never did in AS1; the new score-mechanics, the skins and the competition on the SoundCloud-songs are pretty wonderful.

My hearth still lies with Pointman, though. Now, there are some differences between puzzle-modes in AS1 and AS2. For example, the blocks are not as clear as they were in the original game. Luckily, there are some good skins out there that fix this, so that's not an issue.

An actual difference is the amount of white blocks. There are many, many more white blocks in AS2 - furthermore, the 'snowstorm'-bonus is gone (meaning that the score per white block doesn't increase anymore when many hit the board sequentially). Where it could be beneficial to stack quite a few white blocks in your grid in AS1, it isn't anymore: you're just taking up valuable match-space. Pointmen could just scoop them up to increase the actual match, save them and use them to force-clear. But here's the catch: you can't. We only get three spots for scooping because we're playing pro, and we need those spots for arranging the blocks on the board. We can save about two whites for later, but as there are so many white blocks, it's barely useful.
Pushers don't do great either: they can't store the white blocks on the board as to not to ruin their clear-grid-bonus, but because there are so many of them, they either have to make small matches (force-clearing all the time), lose their match (because the timer ran out) or let them go. That is wasted opportunity for strategic use.

A problem for Pointman-players are the multipliers. Although it feels great to score a well-placed x4, they are colliding with the core-concept of Pointman. After all, Pointmen will try their best to preserve red and yellow blocks to eventually make big, hot matches and score a lot. This is why they don't get the "grid-clear"-bonus: to be able to stack and save. Now, a lot of reds and yellows come AFTER a climax. To make the biggest matches, you'll need to save the few blocks you get before the climax and then fill up the match when the song gets hot. But the multipliers work in such a way that they are placed AT the climax, clearing your grid (and saved blocks) right when you can start scoring big. It's very difficult to guess on the spot if a x2 or x3-multiplier will actually be beneficial over losing all your saved blocks, especially if you don't know the song.

And then, finally, having five colors to pick from was nice. I feel like they brought more variation in the song. This last argument, however, is entirely subjective.

I do also believe that the abscense of an Elite-mode is one of the reasons that many players of the "old core" haven't switched to AS2 or stopped playing altogether, but I can be wrong in this.

To summarize, I would REALLY love for the elite-modes to come back. Give Pointmen more scoops (5 instead of 3), reduce the amount of multipliers (or remove them altogether), maybe reduce the amount of white blocks and bring back green.

NovaTerran

• sup?
    • View Profile
Re: Why we need Elite-modes back
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 09:46:29 am »
I do also believe that the abscense of an Elite-mode is one of the reasons that many players of the "old core" haven't switched to AS2 or stopped playing altogether, but I can be wrong in this.
I would say this is a fairly big contributing factor to the loss of most Vets, it seems like AS2 came at a strange time. Personally I have started to lose interest in even the original game now, I am not sure but I went from playing 1-2 songs a day to maybe playing 1-2 songs every month or so. Maybe I am bored of it now? But I really hope that someday As2 will live up to it's older brother.

NovaTerran

• sup?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 04:21:17 am »
Sorry for possibly derailing your thread with some random babble, it's very well thought out and well written. +1

Cadiuro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 07:37:09 pm »
Don't worry, I'd say it's a relevant topic to discuss in this thread.

Cadiuro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 05:22:06 am »
For reference: I also posted this on the Steam community-hub at this link

lavacano201014

• the rare Ozolus Lavacanum
    • ICQ Messenger - 431938899
    • MSN Messenger - thatotherguy370@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - lavacano201014
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - lavacano201014
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 12:43:42 am »
it seems like AS2 came at a strange time.

Dylan Time strikes again!

Green = listening, red = surfing

GeoLuz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 05:51:41 pm »
I would say this is a fairly big contributing factor to the loss of most Vets, it seems like AS2 came at a strange time. Personally I have started to lose interest in even the original game now, I am not sure but I went from playing 1-2 songs a day to maybe playing 1-2 songs every month or so. Maybe I am bored of it now? But I really hope that someday As2 will live up to it's older brother.
I tend to feel the same way about the absence of an Elite mode. I'm also getting bored of AS1 now. I feel like I'm moving farther and farther away from AS1. I used to play everyday, but now I'm playing once or twice a week. I hope AS2 can eventually generate the excitement AS1 did, but it could be very hard to accomplish.

ERtrysDynat told me to do it.