Author Topic: Real-Time Scoreboards  (Read 3983 times)

Fluttershy

• View Profile
Real-Time Scoreboards
« on: October 11, 2013, 02:36:53 am »
So I've been thinking, what if instead of only submitting the final score, a list of the individual match scores together with their timestamps is submitted? This would enable real-time scoreboards similar to what's seen in racing games. Here's a quick mock-up I made.

Since the game knows about the exact way each score developed, it can tell you how each player on the scoreboard did at every point of the song, as well has how your current run compares to their score and your previous best score. It can constantly keep you updated on how you're doing in relation to your opponents. I think that this would improve the experience quite a bit. For instance, my brother's main complaint with Audiosurf is that the competition is so indirect, just comparing scores at the end. Players would get a little more head-to-head competition immersion with real-time scoreboards. It would also get you really excited when you see that compared to your previous best run (or maybe some other competitor), you've done incredibly well on the first half of the track, don't mess up now!

More ideas that could be done with this mechanic:
  • Competitive analysis of runs. Displays which player did best in which section of the track. Includes suggestions about which section the player can improve the most compared to their opponents.
  • Checkpoints, either auto-detected based on music characteristics, or done at regular intervals. It displays how much you're in front/behind when you hit a checkpoint during your run. That could give the player some goals to work with ('I should have about at least 34k points at checkpoint 2 if I want to get this throne').
  • Extrapolation of score based on previous runs. 'If you keep this up, you'll end up with 212,382'

Orathania

• View Profile
Re: Real-Time Scoreboards
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 11:21:53 am »
I must say that out of all the ideas I have seen so far this is the best one. I would really like to see this happen so it wouldn't just be easy to distinguish the cheated scores but to see how you are doing compared to other players too and where you can improve your score by doing something differently (especially on wakeboard modes this would be awesome).

jmmwetering

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 02:29:57 pm »
Sounds like a really good idea, but it should be toggable. I wouldn't like seeing a big blob of text on the screen when I just want to chill.
It might also be really heavy on the server, because it would send a lot more data then usual.

Fluttershy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 03:07:16 pm »
I must say that out of all the ideas I have seen so far this is the best one. I would really like to see this happen so it wouldn't just be easy to distinguish the cheated scores but to see how you are doing compared to other players too and where you can improve your score by doing something differently (especially on wakeboard modes this would be awesome).

Hey, glad you like the idea! I didn't even think of the fact that it'd make cheating harder, too. Let's hope Dylan also thinks it's worth doing :).

Sounds like a really good idea, but it should be toggable. I wouldn't like seeing a big blob of text on the screen when I just want to chill.
It might also be really heavy on the server, because it would send a lot more data then usual.

I think the server load should be fine. Let's see, I have a run on a 3:13 track, the stats tell me I collected 372 blocks, with an average match size of 13.8. That means I made 27 matches. Let's say the timestamp is a single precision floating-point number (4 bytes) and the score delta is a 32-bit integer (4 bytes). That means the whole run takes 27 * (4 + 4) = 216 bytes. So when someone starts a run, the game retrieves the score data for the top 10 players, which would be about 2 kB in this case. And this has to happen only once, before the run is started, so I think it should be alright. Making the display optional sounds like a good idea.

blue_h3x

• View Profile
    • AS Tournament
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 10:26:55 am »
I think the server load should be fine. Let's see, I have a run on a 3:13 track, the stats tell me I collected 372 blocks, with an average match size of 13.8. That means I made 27 matches. Let's say the timestamp is a single precision floating-point number (4 bytes) and the score delta is a 32-bit integer (4 bytes). That means the whole run takes 27 * (4 + 4) = 216 bytes. So when someone starts a run, the game retrieves the score data for the top 10 players, which would be about 2 kB in this case.

There's more to it that that. The data needs to be found first. The more data you have in a database table, the longer it takes to look up and the more CPU time involved. Logging the real time scores of everyone playing will amount to a large set of data which will impact negatively on all score related queries.
Australia is kinda awesome, but it's no Yorkshire.

Passerby

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 11:52:37 am »
Maybe just showing the top 3 scores at the time of starting the song

Dylan

• Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Audiosurf
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 09:46:58 am »
This would be cool. I'll will likely do this :)

Fluttershy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 07:55:53 am »
This would be cool. I'll will likely do this :)

Thank you very much for implementing this feature. The announcement says that the number of competitors shown in the live scoreboards has been increased. However, I would prefer the list to be even longer. I know that this might not be for everyone, as some people may find it distracting, but I would very much like it that way. Maybe it's possible to make the number of competitors shown in the live scoreboards a configuration option?

Bookmarking

• View Profile
    • Reviews on Best Affiliate and Free Traffic Programs
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 06:20:49 am »
This is intersesting feature. Checkpoints would be great for a long play