Author Topic: ALAC/AAC/MP4 Support  (Read 8677 times)

SK83RJOSH

• View Profile
ALAC/AAC/MP4 Support
« on: October 06, 2013, 06:38:19 am »
In Audiosurf 1 we had ALAC/AAC/MP4 support, but not in the current version of Audiosurf 2. Which is sad, because it's the format the majority of my music is in due to iTunes not supporting FLAC. Although I could convert back and fourth between the two all day long for the sake of playing my songs, I'd really rather not.

This current lack of support, and the fact I'm forced to play wakeboard mode has actually made me really dissapointed with Audiosurf 2 so far.

I really hope to see it added in near future!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 06:41:55 am by SK83RJOSH »

gdffgdfgd

• View Profile
Re: ALAC/AAC/MP4 Support
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 08:24:18 am »
ALAC support is definitely needed, I think a lot of people have their Lossless Music in that format.
And while we're at it, does AS2 already support 5.1 FLAC? If not, that would be nice to have (although not a top priority). I don't have a lot of 5.1 music but it was still cool to be able to play it in AS1.

SK83RJOSH

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 12:45:18 pm »
ALAC support is definitely needed, I think a lot of people have their Lossless Music in that format.
And while we're at it, does AS2 already support 5.1 FLAC? If not, that would be nice to have (although not a top priority). I don't have a lot of 5.1 music but it was still cool to be able to play it in AS1.

Well the October 4th update did add basic FLAC support, based on that one can assume that the playback / processing of 5.1 should be supported just fine. But I have a feeling the full 5.1 playback might not work, or perhaps playback / processing isn't there at all for 5.1, someone would need to verify such a thing. ^^

Lebon14

• Love! Countdown!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 04:15:40 pm »
In Audiosurf 1 we had ALAC/AAC/MP4 support, but not in the current version of Audiosurf 2. Which is sad, because it's the format the majority of my music is in due to iTunes not supporting FLAC. Although I could convert back and fourth between the two all day long for the sake of playing my songs, I'd really rather not.

This current lack of support, and the fact I'm forced to play wakeboard mode has actually made me really dissapointed with Audiosurf 2 so far.

I really hope to see it added in near future!

AAC works just fine as of right now.
Biggest cluster in points : 111362 points
Favorite Character : Pointman Pro
Twitter : @Lebon14

gdffgdfgd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 01:38:26 pm »
Any news on ALAC support? Have been waiting patiently but would really like to see it soon, don't really want to convert everything to FLAC just to be able to play it.

Lebon14

• Love! Countdown!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 10:04:01 pm »
Any news on ALAC support? Have been waiting patiently but would really like to see it soon, don't really want to convert everything to FLAC just to be able to play it.
Newest update brought it. Only downside: you need iTunes installed.

gdffgdfgd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 03:17:45 am »
I noticed, WAV support came too, so this means almost everything is supported now. And that downside isn't really one, iTunes is pretty much the only reason you have ALAC music. Someone who doesn't have iTunes will most likely have his Lossless music in FLAC (as would I).

Melodia

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 06:05:09 am »
Well some people use APE...

And perhaps a very rare few use WMA Lossless.

Lebon14

• Love! Countdown!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 01:13:58 pm »
I noticed, WAV support came too, so this means almost everything is supported now. And that downside isn't really one, iTunes is pretty much the only reason you have ALAC music. Someone who doesn't have iTunes will most likely have his Lossless music in FLAC (as would I).

Foobar2000, VLC, etc can play ALAC without iTunes.  ::)

Melodia

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 08:47:01 pm »
ALAC isn't proprietary, despite its name.

Lebon14

• Love! Countdown!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 02:54:45 pm »
ALAC isn't proprietary, despite its name.
Indeed. It was proprietary but not anymore since Apple released it to Open Source (Apache 2.0 Licence) I believe. Wikipedia explains it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Lossless

Djoron

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 02:19:28 pm »
Newest update brought it. Only downside: you need iTunes installed.

Sorry for kinda necro-ing the thread, but I recently re-ripped / downloaded most of my music to have as ALAC files only to see that AS2 wouldn't play those properly.
In the Steam discussion thing another player pointed out that ALAC wouldn't be supported, but now I read here that apparently it is, if you have Itunes installed.

Well, I do have Itunes installed, but the files still won't play properly.
Is there a certain location Itunes has to be installed to or something else to consider to get it to work?
It's just quite a bummer to not be able to play most of my music now.

AfxTwn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 01:21:20 am »
I feel your pain. I too had all my files as ALAC or AAC in itunes and they wouldn't play properly in AS2 (it would crash frequently). They don't have to be in a special folder or location, just the standard itunes folder. I may have been the person who started the thread in the Steam discussion, I think I also mentioned it here somewhere but I ended up having to convert my entire music collection to MP3.

Needless to say this took an age and was a massive pain as itunes sometimes wouldn't locate the new file and either make duplicates or I would have to manually locate the correct file.

I know AS2 is supposed to support Apple files but at the moment it doesn't really so unfortunately you're going to have to use MP3's for the game until it gets fixed (don't hold your breath seeing as Dylan works on his own and so things take a very, very long time to develop).

Djoron

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 02:48:57 am »
So, the music has to be in the iTunes folder to...maybe work?
Well that's silly, but I can try that out.

And technically you can just convert them to FLAC, if you don't want to lose quality, though admittedly, those can't go on an iPod or so, and it takes a bunch more space.
I did that with a few things, but yeah, it's kinda sucks.

Oh well, maybe the next update coming soon(tm) gonna fix that. ^^

AfxTwn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 02:46:20 am »
They shouldn't have to be in the iTunes folder, technically AS should be able to find any audio files from any folder. The problem is that the game just won't play Apple files correctly. It might work for some files but I found more often than not that the game would crash, that's why I ended up converting them to MP3's.

I know FLAC would be better quality but as you said, they take up a lot more space so I had to compromise.