Author Topic: Any way to get a list of songs by traffic?  (Read 4702 times)

hannahbailey2008

• View Profile
    • Email
Any way to get a list of songs by traffic?
« on: June 13, 2010, 03:28:09 pm »
tl;dr: (How) can I put in a lot of songs and get traffic/track data on them without doing so one-by-one?

Hi y'all :)

I was wondering if there's any add-on or mod that takes a bunch of songs (like all the songs in a folder, for example) and sorts them by Audiosurf traffic, or by average block color (which would tell you how steep the track is). Is it even possible to do so without going through the songs one by one (a rather tedious task when you have dozens of songs :P)? Right now I use a beats-per-minute analyzer that does this, but I've found BPM to be a mediocre estimator of traffic, since some songs (like violin-heavy classical) have low BPM but still produce a fast downhill track, and others might have a high BPM, but Audiosurf might ignore a lot of the beats and produce a slow track.

Mincus

• View Profile
Re: Any way to get a list of songs by traffic?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 04:36:33 pm »
If the song has already been ridden by someone else, you could get the track view using the Audiosurf server from whoever else has ridden it (their track might not correspond to yours) and use those to compare. This assumes someone else has already ridden the track as well.
AFAIK, no-one has written a mod to do this, but it is possible.

As to scanning locally, it wouldn't be possible to do it quickly and you'd need something to check the ash files (AFAIK, no-one has developed a tool to read them effectively, at least none that has been released).

hannahbailey2008

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 04:42:30 pm »
Thank you very much for the reply :)

Mincus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 10:16:49 pm »
Well, I realised I had all the difficult code for this lying around and all it needed was knitting together.
So, bit of a pre-release for it, this just lets you check several songs, I plan to make it more comprehensive.

Should just work with any .NET 2.0 install and probably any mono one as well.

File -> Check Single Song
Enter title/artist.
Hit "Lookup".
Click any score and it will show the coaster for it.

You can open multiple song windows at once to compare them.
The Playlist option isn't implemented yet and there's generally not a lot of polish on the app (and a handful of potential thread issues). So, no warranty, if it eats your kittens or crashes I'm not to blame. ;)

hannahbailey2008

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 11:00:58 pm »
Ooooh, it works, thank you very much!!!
It's actually less annoying than using the main Audiosurf site :P

And although it does work, it nonetheless spits out

Failed to get track data: InvalidArgument=Value of '0' is not valid for 'index'.
Parameter name: index

in the bar below the Artist field for some silly reason :P

Just outta curiosity, do the colors have any meaning? I've noticed that they seem to be redder when the slope is around zero, and the steeper the slope is (either up or down) it's blue/purpler, but it might just be coincidence since I've only tried it on a handful of songs.

Thanks again, this'll really come in handy :D

Completely off topic, I've been so engrossed with Audiosurf today that I forgot it's already 2 AM and I need to go to sleep x_x
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 11:02:57 pm by hannahbailey2008 »

blue_h3x

• View Profile
    • AS Tournament
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 04:21:25 am »
Just outta curiosity, do the colors have any meaning?

In short

Blue = slow
Red = fast
Australia is kinda awesome, but it's no Yorkshire.

Passerby

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 04:26:19 am »
Well, I realised I had all the difficult code for this lying around and all it needed was knitting together.
So, bit of a pre-release for it, this just lets you check several songs, I plan to make it more comprehensive.

Should just work with any .NET 2.0 install and probably any mono one as well.

File -> Check Single Song
Enter title/artist.
Hit "Lookup".
Click any score and it will show the coaster for it.

You can open multiple song windows at once to compare them.
The Playlist option isn't implemented yet and there's generally not a lot of polish on the app (and a handful of potential thread issues). So, no warranty, if it eats your kittens or crashes I'm not to blame. ;)

nice and pretty

blue_h3x

• View Profile
    • AS Tournament
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 04:31:24 am »
Neat app, though doesn't show the track minimap for me

Mincus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 06:16:03 am »
Ooooh, it works, thank you very much!!!
It's actually less annoying than using the main Audiosurf site :P

And although it does work, it nonetheless spits out

Failed to get track data: InvalidArgument=Value of '0' is not valid for 'index'.
Parameter name: index

in the bar below the Artist field for some silly reason :P
That means it couldn't get the ride data for some reason. Sometimes it just turns up, not sure why just yet.

Just outta curiosity, do the colors have any meaning? I've noticed that they seem to be redder when the slope is around zero, and the steeper the slope is (either up or down) it's blue/purpler, but it might just be coincidence since I've only tried it on a handful of songs.
It's just a graded brush, nearer the top it's red, near the bottom it's blue. It might give an illusion that fast songs are redder. I just thought it prettier than black originally. I chose the colours when I wrote the code around a year ago and just didn't bother changing them.
I may change them though, there's a few things that could be improved on it.

Are you getting the same error as hannah? You are clicking on one of the scores, right?

blue_h3x

• View Profile
    • AS Tournament
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 03:14:54 am »
Are you getting the same error as hannah? You are clicking on one of the scores, right?

Oops, it works.

Though strings with an apostrophe fail to load, probably because AS drops them but the app doesn't. Not a major issue though

hannahbailey2008

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 09:13:08 am »
I thought of something, dunno if it would work, but it might.

In the extended stats of the scoreboards on the AS website, it doesn't list traffic, but it does list a lot of other stuff, including blocks collected.

Here's the last song I played as an example:

One could use the info there to reverse-calculate the traffic, by taking the blocks collected (first row) and dividing them by the total % (third row)

So for this one,

15/.21 + 19/.33 + 41/.85 + 4/.80 + 47/.85 comes out to 237.53 (this is how many blocks are in the track, approximately). Dividing that by the length of the song (~2.0167 minutes) gives 117.78, and the actual traffic is 118 :D

I'm rubbish at programming, could this method work?

Mincus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 09:20:41 am »
Well the % isn't rounded, which would cause errors (the more traffic, the larger the error), but otherwise, yes it could work.
I also think (but I'm not 100% on this) that things like paints and storms are counted in the amount collected, which would introduce more errors.
I've also not looked into getting the extended stats, although I suspect it wouldn't be hard.

My thoughts were actually to use the rollercoaster itself to arrange the track, it's fairly simple to work out which of 2 compared rollercoasters has more of a downhill slope.

hannahbailey2008

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 09:28:48 am »
Well the % isn't rounded, which would cause errors (the more traffic, the larger the error), but otherwise, yes it could work.
I also think (but I'm not 100% on this) that things like paints and storms are counted in the amount collected, which would introduce more errors.
I've also not looked into getting the extended stats, although I suspect it wouldn't be hard.

My thoughts were actually to use the rollercoaster itself to arrange the track, it's fairly simple to work out which of 2 compared rollercoasters has more of a downhill slope.

Thank you for the awesomely quick reply :D

I hadn't thought of the storms/paints making the count inaccurate :(
And after posting this, I noticed in some of the stats, there were 0 blocks of a certain color collected, which would make estimating traffic even worse since it would just ignore a whole swath of blocks.

So yeah, my method wouldn't be too great after all.