Author Topic: Spotify and Audiosurf ?  (Read 3381 times)

killuapo

• View Profile
    • Email
Spotify and Audiosurf ?
« on: April 24, 2010, 05:48:09 am »
I've always thought about this, but now that the Spotify dev team released their new libspotify, this could get more realistic.
For those who don't know about it, Spotify is an online service which allows to hear music online through their software.
libspotify is their new public API, which should allow to use the files on the Spotify servers through other applications.
So I figured out this could be an amazing feature to Audiosurf, to be able to play music on the go only connecting to Spotify.

So what do you think about it ? Could it be possible ?

(P.S. Sorry for my bad english :( )

Mincus

• View Profile
Re: Spotify and Audiosurf ?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 06:06:06 am »
The same problem applies as to streaming from other services. If you search you'll find the threads relating to it.

They basically boil down to this: Audiosurf needs the entire track before it can analyse it accurately, this means a long wait whilst Spotify grabs the first track and again for every 'skip' performed.

It's not a total deal breaker, and there are a lot of other minor problems with it as well, but that's the main one. Especially if Spotify will only let the app consume data at the song speed, as you effectively have to wait for the entire song length before you can play it (not ideal).

This also assumes that Spotify won't object to you keeping a local copy of the track for as long as it takes to surf (they may, or more accurately, the media companies pulling the strings probably will).

killuapo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 06:15:04 am »
Oh... I understand. :-[

Well, that's too bad. I guess we'll have to content ourselves with the music we have.

Thanks anyway. ;D

Alex_NTE

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 02:27:05 pm »
This is still something we should engage with the Spotify developers and AudioSurf developers for.

Its certainly possible to do it technically - even if Spotify needs to download the track first, before passing it via some API to AudioSurf. Keep in mind Spotify saves/buffers recently listened to tracks already, so simply providing a "last XX songs you listened to will be available in AudioSurf" feature may be good enough.

The problem's are all going to be political or economic ones. The music-labels and artists not wanting to allow you to enjoy their music more without paying for it in some way (political, self-interest), and Spotify not caring about such a potentially small user segment (economic - opportunity cost).

blue_h3x

• View Profile
    • AS Tournament
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 02:36:50 pm »
Spotify encrypts these buffered/cached files, and this encryption key would need to be shared with the Dev of Audiosurf. Though by all means suggest the idea to Spotify, they might listen.
Australia is kinda awesome, but it's no Yorkshire.