Author Topic: What's with Vegas?  (Read 38943 times)

0VERS33R

• View Profile
    • Email
What's with Vegas?
« on: January 14, 2010, 09:22:36 pm »
Setting up a discussion to talk about the crapness of Vegas... I don't understand how I see so many vegas characters at the top of the scoreboard (sometimes)! I mean, it's harder to hold a chain and the MAX bonus you can get is red paint worth 50k. I try with vegas and I get about a third of the score I'd get with Eraser. So how come others do so well?
Audiosurf is like a mix of tetris, need for speed and pot... Look at all the colours, dude!

Ko-Tao

• View Profile
Re: What's with Vegas?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 09:40:23 pm »
Red paint + 7x multiplier + full board + decent chain = @___@

Hammer

• \_(ツ)_/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 10:57:20 pm »
Red Paint + x7 + half a decent chain = like 100k points, lol.

On short songs, this wrecks scoreboards :P
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 11:05:10 pm by Hammer »
| Hammer[BAN] | Youtube Page | Hammer[TIME] |
Currently playing: Starcraft II, Audiosurf

Passerby

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 02:51:23 am »
ya it's really luck based so some people just replay untill they get a lucky run.

im am so glad it is not elite.

blue_h3x

• View Profile
    • AS Tournament
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 04:56:26 am »
Play the song enough with Vegas and you'll get a 7x red m21.

Vegas is all luck and not skill like the others
Australia is kinda awesome, but it's no Yorkshire.

ViRUS

• Global Moderator
    • MSN Messenger - newvirus@live.com.ar
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 05:17:06 am »
I like Vegas, makes me feel like I'm good at puzzle chars :P

blue_h3x

• View Profile
    • AS Tournament
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 05:21:09 am »
I like Vegas, makes me feel like I'm good at puzzle chars :P
without actually being good :P

Lethargy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 08:59:26 am »
http://www.audio-surf.com/forum/index.php/topic,5900.0.html

http://www.audio-surf.com/forum/index.php/topic,5929.0.html

We can talk about it all day, and it's pretty clear it needs to be nerfed (hard), but in the end it's all up to Dylan - at this point we're just beating a dead horse.

blue_h3x

• View Profile
    • AS Tournament
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 10:39:17 am »
All balancing talks end this way, but it's a pretty unanimous that Vegas is overpowered

WWNSX

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 11:51:20 am »
All balancing talks end this way, but it's a pretty unanimous that Vegas is overpowered

Not this again. ultimately it's up to dylan to decide on Vegas and It's funny how people who don't play Vegas that much are the ones that started the thread complaining about Vegas in the first place.

I thought of a new idea for nerfing vegas. Remove the 7x and 6x multipler  but instead of having lower scoring purple blocks use green blocks instead so Vegas still has a chance to get on top of the score boards and if and only if the green blocks help Vegas players actually get to the top of the score boards then maybe remove the 5x multiplier too

I'm thinking the only way to properly nerf Vegas is get the people involved in the threads that have debated about it and test the most voted on options to see which one balances out Vegas best so you can still get to the top of the score board but other characters can still strive for the top spot.

@Overs33r Vegas is more luck based and there is still some skilled involved but people seem to look down on Vegas players now just like they look down on Mono players. To keep chaining try to keep left clicking to shuffle even if you have matches till you get a big enough match to clear. Not overfilling helps a lot.

While having a red paint with a 7x multiplier and a half full or full board helps get a 50k or higher Best Cluster score bonus the multiplier still gets obscured by other power ups if you have them in front of it so you can't always tell what multiplier you have.

Keeping a chain going and filling up the board and then using a paint even without using a multiplier is also a good way to get points. Avoid purple blocks and overfills at all costs though.

ViRUS

• Global Moderator
    • MSN Messenger - newvirus@live.com.ar
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 12:17:58 pm »
Not this again. ultimately it's up to dylan to decide on Vegas and It's funny how people who don't play Vegas that much are the ones that started the thread complaining about Vegas in the first place.

No, it's not funny, it makes complete sense...

Let's say you are on a shooting, all your enemies have 9mm pistols and you have a rocket launcher, would you complain?

Now you get the idea.

@Overs33r Vegas is more luck based and there is still some skilled involved but people seem to look down on Vegas players now just like they look down on Mono players. To keep chaining try to keep left clicking to shuffle even if you have matches till you get a big enough match to clear. Not overfilling helps a lot.

Oh yeah, playing the same song over and over again until you have a x7 multiplier and a red paint requires A LOT of skill...

blue_h3x

• View Profile
    • AS Tournament
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 01:16:51 pm »
It's funny how people who don't play Vegas that much are the ones that started the thread complaining about Vegas in the first place.

We should all play vegas and shut up I guess then

Let's say you are on a shooting, all your enemies have 9mm pistols and you have a rocket launcher, would you complain?

Now you get the idea.

Exactly, you don't complain if you win

Oh yeah, playing the same song over and over again until you have a x7 multiplier and a red paint requires A LOT of skill...

Granted Vegas takes some skill, like using the power up at the opportune moment, nothing like that of Eraser, Pusher, Pointman or DV though is it?

WWNSX

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 01:27:11 pm »

Now you get the idea.

You I get the Idea but I wouldn't really want to argue violence vs a video game so i'm not going to argue the semantics of that one i.e. radius blast damage, running away from said rocket launcher etc etc

I didn't say it has a LOT  of skill or a larger learning curve like Pointman does I said some and besides sometimes you have to replay a song multiple times to get your throne back on your favorite song. I think we all have done that. For me usually the first 3 runs on any one song are my best sometimes they aren't this is always different from player to player or i can at least hope so.

It's funny how people who don't play Vegas that much are the ones that started the thread complaining about Vegas in the first place.

We should all play vegas and shut up I guess then

Didn't say that.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 01:34:29 pm by ViRUS »

Mincus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 01:55:35 pm »
Vegas has a skill factor. It just has no real affect on the score. Anyone with even a basic understanding of the game mechanics can get a high score if they play enough.
It's unfortunate, but the only valid thing to do is nerf it and leave it mostly as a "for fun" character much like Mono.

CrackTheSky

• needs a better title
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 02:01:10 pm »

Now you get the idea.

You I get the Idea but I wouldn't really want to argue violence vs a video game so i'm not going to argue the semantics of that one i.e. radius blast damage, running away from said rocket launcher etc etc

That's the weirdest way you could have chosen to avoid ViRUS's argument.