Author Topic: Audiosurf + Ubuntu Linux  (Read 94041 times)

stephantom

Audiosurf + Ubuntu Linux
« on: January 12, 2008, 06:30:50 pm »
There seem to be quite a few people from Austria browsing here - so, here's another one posting!
First: I have no machines running Windows, so I tried making Audiosurf work with Wine under Ubuntu Linux 8.04 (the [current] development version).

It almost works to perfect to be true. The only thing bugging me is the splash screen which is drawn completely wrong:

You have to look around with your mouse to find the selection for "Play" (it's somewhere in the middle).

The *.wmv videos in the tutorials don't work either. But that is to be expected when you use a vendor-specific codec for these.

After that, everything seems to work as expected:

If the splash screen / the videos would get fixed to work as expected too, you could claim compatibilty with Linux through Wine!

Without further ado, my answers:

-Did the auto-updater finish successfully?
Yes. No problem here.

-Does it play smoothly at the settings it defaults to or did it ask you to
decrease graphic settings?
No, it didn't ask me to do anything with the settings.

-Do the tabs on the highscore board or song selector ever get garbled
graphically? If so, what video card do you have?
Nope, only on some screenshots.
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G72M [GeForce Go 7400] (rev a1)

-Now that you know how to play and score points, what do you wish the
tutorial had made more clear?
No, it's fine.

Your opinion:

-What did you like about the game?
It's extremely fascinating to watch the scenery and see how to music is visualized. It's also extremely fun to have songs which go real slow for a couple of seconds and starting rocking afterwards. I love the ship's reaction to these parts.

-What did you dislike about the game?
It's too fast at times. Maybe I'm not a pro gamer, but at high speeds I have difficulty keeping track of the collector's columns and the ship (and maybe half an eye ahead to see the next few chunks).
I want more loops. I had only one or two songs where the track bent into loop. I'd also like to see big loops like in a rollercoaster.

-What was your favorite character to play with and why?
Vegas. When you have overloaded a column and you are waiting to respawn, you can use that time to shuffle up the field and use the time out effectively. It also seems to be that easiest way to get multiple colors with decent playing conditions.

-What did you think of the difficulty of the game--was it too hard, about
right, too easy?
Too much speed at times (like I mentioned above). Otherwise than that, I see it as a challenge to get better :)

-On a scale of 1 to 10, how interested are you in continuing to play at this
point (1=not interested at all, 10=I'd definitely play more)

Keep it up!
stephantom

p.s. If you're interested to have your game tested with wine/Linux more intensely, just let me know. I'd be happy to help!

Dylan

• Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Audiosurf
    • Email
Re: Audiosurf + Ubuntu Linux
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 08:30:12 pm »
Nice! It shouldn't take long to fix those two things to be more wine compatible.

I don't know much about wine, is it something you can bundle with a commercial product? Does it allow Audiosurf to run an a Mac?

Pwntastic

• Roffles The Mighty
  • Global Moderator
    • MSN Messenger - rofflesthemighty@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LordDosk
    • View Profile
    • Pwntastic.Net
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 08:39:11 pm »
You could probably bundle the packages with a commercial product so long as you include a copy of the gpl or whatever license it's under, seeing as how its open-source. but really it'd be easier to have the clients download the packages themselves since they vary between linux distributions. most of the time, if the client has linux they will be able to get wine themselves fairly easily anyway :P

stephantom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 06:29:10 am »
Nice! It shouldn't take long to fix those two things to be more wine compatible.
Great! If you need any additional testing done, just contact me!

I don't know much about wine, is it something you can bundle with a commercial product? Does it allow Audiosurf to run an a Mac?
Wine is a compatibility layer for POSIX-enabled systems. It's basically an implementation of the Windows-API using Linux.
And yes, using Wine it should be possible to play Audiosurf on Mac.

As Pwntastic said, it's probably best to advertise on your website that your game runs using Wine as it needs to be compiled for each architecture separately. Most distributions allow the users to install it using a package manager (which essentially brings the install procedure down to a few clicks). Some distributions have wine even preinstalled.

If you don't plan to do a full Linux/Mac port, working out a few things to have it run with wine is the next best thing :-)

downhillgames

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 01:28:53 pm »

winelib allows you to recompile your source, unchanged, and redistribute it with _that_ version built right in. Picasa for Linux does this, for example. For more information: www.winehq.org

Chat with some developers on #winehq on irc.freenode.net or join their mailing lists for personal attention, if you like. :)

EDIT: However, a direct port would be *amazing* :-)

GigaClon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 01:32:48 pm »
yeah linux port would be amazing. the last computer game I bought was because there was a linux version

downhillgames

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 08:19:00 pm »
yeah linux port would be amazing. the last computer game I bought was because there was a linux version
+1. the last.... 3 or 4 games I've bought were because they had native Linux versions. (UT3, ET:QW, a few others)

Kingsfan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 08:25:00 pm »
joined just so i can say i'd love to see a  linux port!

darthpyro42

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 11:59:13 am »
I also have tried Audiosurf using Wine and Linux.  I'm using Slackware 12.0 and Wine 0.9.53 (the newest stable release at this time)  When it first starts, it only occupies a part of the window (just like the above screenshot), and you have to move the mouse above and slightly to the left of anything you want to select or click.  If you click the "Fullscreen" button on the top right, it fixes the problem.  Like it was mentioned before, the tutorial videos did not work.  I would recommend putting them in a more widely compatible format.  You could just make it only full screen for wine, since wine puts everything in a window (to my knowledge) anyway.  I hope that it can be made fully Wine compatible: I would certainly buy it if it is! 

Joes

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 12:20:04 pm »
Dylan: you should check Cider from Transgaming. It is based on Wine but allows "easy" porting of the Win32 games to the MacOSX. It is commercial product, though.

http://www.transgaming.com/products/cider/

Borbus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 02:24:04 pm »
With the latest Wine update (today) the game doesn't run quite so well, but it's a minor issue. The fullscreen window is placed just like a normal window but with no title bar (see screenshot). Also the file sorting which I filed as a bug earlier is still not fixed.

Darwine is a Wine port for OSX which is currently well maintained so yes Wine will allow this game to run on OSX.

As you can see the window is placed incorrectly. Other games like TF2 draw the window properly full screen. Because of this you can't use the mouse because it can go over bits of gnome and then not work in audiosurf.

Oh and Wine is licensed under the LGPL which means you can use it with commercial products, you just have to comply with the LGPL for the those parts, ie. include the LGPL and provide source code for those parts (ie. wine). But you wouldn't need to do this for linux users because Wine is included in most distros.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 02:45:48 pm by Borbus »

Borbus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 06:45:13 pm »
Today I tried to use the "Premium" graphics mode. This mode does not work in Wine. I get some output though, but it is strange. The screen is black, but the HUD is there and also, the flashes that appear when a block goes past the screen (but you don't get it), they are still there. And there is one pixel of what appears to be normal output on the left. Switching it back to enhanced or normal is fine.

matto1990

• Crazy Ninja!
    • MSN Messenger - matto1990@yahoo.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • My Site
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 08:57:09 am »
Dont think a linux/mac port will be possible as Audiosurf uses the Quest3D engine, which is windows only as far as i know.

Borbus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 06:38:06 am »
Dont think a linux/mac port will be possible as Audiosurf uses the Quest3D engine, which is windows only as far as i know.
Yeah.. thanks for that, but as you can see this thread is about running the game with Wine, so yes it does work. I can't wait to buy the game, but I'd like it to work completely in Wine before actually spending money on it.

matto1990

• Crazy Ninja!
    • MSN Messenger - matto1990@yahoo.co.uk
    • View Profile
    • My Site
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 08:20:59 am »
I knows it about using wine and i understand that it works currently. There were a few people that were expecting a port to Linux (eg. No WINE emulation) so I was just telling them that it most likely won't happen/