Author Topic: NEW FEATURE: Custom Game Modes Using Song Tags  (Read 144410 times)

Lavos^

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: NEW FEATURE: Custom Game Modes Using Song Tags
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2008, 02:14:11 pm »
How do I even change the tags?

Right click the mp3/music file, click properties. Go to Summary, and click Advanced. Change the Title of the track by adding a space, then the [as-] mode you want after it. You can add multiple modes by stringing this to the end of a song: " [as-4lane] [as-everybodymono] [as-monopt9] [as-bankcam]" you get the idea ;)

You know, giving someone instructions without knowing just what program they use isn't very helpful.

For instance, Winamp has no "properties" menu item, it's called "view file info", and there's no need to click anything -- it opens right to the tag editor.

YMMV depending on just what program you use.

-Lala-

He's talking about Windows, which most people have.....

ZeteticApparatchik

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2008, 02:31:41 pm »
This is a cool feature and it'll be nice when its been implemented in something other than a quarter-arsed manner.

(TBH, this seems the be general impression with Audiosurf: great engine behind the music interpretation, it's a shame that so much of interface (or lack of it in this case) sucks so badly...)

Edit: Having read through previous suggestions– please don't make any panel you might implement as game-wide. Please make it easy to toggle them off and on, before playing a song.

Edit, again: The current setup is made all the more infuriating by Audiosurf refusing to release a lock on a song file until you actually open another song (apparently)...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 03:26:33 pm by ZeteticApparatchik »

merquryman

• Fotoshop Phiddler
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Einstei47
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2008, 05:57:40 pm »
In case you guys need a quick ID3 tag editor, download this and keep it open while playing audiosurf. To edit the songtag, right clicka  song from the directory and select "Extended Tags"

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/download.html

kEn_sct

• You got mail!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2008, 06:11:47 pm »
whats with all this program downloading... windows can do it straight off just right click the song and click properties... how hard can it be :S

1113k on TTFAF beat that (without cheating by using eraser)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTX4GUQrS44&fmt=22

Testament-Doom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2008, 06:32:46 pm »
Very hard apparently ;)

Though, I don't think a lot of people (the less experienced or lazy people, like myself) will take advantage of this awesome feature just because of the manual editing. It's kind of a shame :(

ZeteticApparatchik

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2008, 07:36:16 pm »
Just to note: Windows' tag editing doesn't work with .m4a files. (Since they're a different container format and don't use ID3 tags...)

firepong

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2008, 10:29:12 pm »
[as-monoonly] [as-nogrey] [as-swind] [as-caterp] [as-msz2] [as-prows8]

I got that on one of my songs. Man is it crazy.

At the end of the song, whole arm will actually be hurting because of only one color and all of the lines of colors, it makes your mind think your arm is moving to the sidewinders in the music. EPIC!!

People need to try this out lol. Put it on the end of a song that already has a lot of congestion combined with a very fast pace. again, I say EPIC!!!

Harryboyles

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2008, 02:25:45 am »
Oh :o my :o god! :o I've only played one or two songs using sidewinder and banking camera modes each and already I'm hooked. This has to be the best update to Audiosurf ever. Kudos to you, Dylan and Lebeth for making one of the most replayable games ever.

On another note, I noticed that whenever you hit a corkscrew on a track using sidewinder mode, the orientation of the camera returns to the normal orientation (a.k.a. no sidewinder for the rest of the track). Hope you can get this bug fixed and implement the oft-requested in-game UI for the custom modes. Once again, congrats on a great game that has just got even better!  ;D

Maldenic

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2008, 04:50:58 am »
I am liking the new modes, especially [as-caterp] which, I think, gives the music a better feel. It does seem to make it easier to make matches, but in some cases it also makes it much harder because you overflow very easily if you don't take care to keep the grid clean.

I just thought that I should point out that with [as-wbX] 100 doesn't give 100% white, and 0 still puts some white blocks in, but 0.0 seems to have no white blocks at all. Not that it particularly matters.

1nvisible

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2008, 05:35:37 am »
Very nice update, thank you, Dylan and co!
But it would be even better if you make it through in-game interface, so that it would auto add tags to the songs.
This could be made with a button in song selection dialog which will open a window with options.

[as-monoonly] [as-nogrey] [as-swind] [as-caterp] [as-msz2] [as-prows8]
This combination is mad!  ;)
However it contained greys for me (may be a bug?) and crashed my PC with a BSOD.  ::)

Chance

• AOL Instant Messenger - chanceman93
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2008, 06:52:03 am »
whats with all this program downloading... windows can do it straight off just right click the song and click properties... how hard can it be :S

Its really easy.  Just right click, rename!

Very hard apparently ;)

Though, I don't think a lot of people (the less experienced or lazy people, like myself) will take advantage of this awesome feature just because of the manual editing. It's kind of a shame :(

It seems like the lazy thing to do is rename it using windows.  The more complicated would be to downlad a program!  :D

Devil_Spawn

• Not Devil_Awesome, Devil_0wns, Devil_TheGreatest..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2008, 07:00:40 am »
DYLAN, YOU ROCK!

merquryman

• Fotoshop Phiddler
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Einstei47
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2008, 01:19:25 pm »

Its really easy.  Just right click, rename!

Very hard apparently ;)

It seems like the lazy thing to do is rename it using windows.  The more complicated would be to downlad a program!  :D

Most of the songs I rename in windows don't carry over into the game.

Laserrobotics

• Robot Overlord
  • Global Moderator
  • Beep boop everyone.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2008, 01:35:52 pm »
that's because you have to do what lavos said and edit the tags, not just the name.  he explained it up at the top of the page.

Lavos^

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2008, 02:06:41 pm »
that's because you have to do what lavos said and edit the tags, not just the name.  he explained it up at the top of the page.

Wut? I explained something helpful? What are these lies.